HENRICO COUNTY, Va (WRIC) — Police in Henrico County have identified the bicyclist who died in a crash over the weekend. The crash befell shortly earlier than 6:30 p.M. On Saturday, March 23, within the place of Nuckols
Road and Wyndham Park Drive.
Chris Lockett, a sales mechanic at Conte’s Bike Shop, spoke with 8News following the second crash regarding a bicycle in the last week. According to police, a GMC Acadia changed into visiting westbound on Nuckols Rd. When it struck a bicyclist who becomes heading southbound on Wyndham Park Dr., crossing over Nuckols Rd. The bicyclist, who has been diagnosed as 41-year-antique Radha Natwarlal Joshi, died at the scene. Police tell 8News she changed into sporting a helmet.
“It’s very frightening because it’s far very preventable. You simply have to pay interest,” stated Lockett. Lockett says with hotter weather coming, humans may be using their bicycles outside extra often, and drivers need to be conscious. “You must provide them as a minimum of three ft of space,” he said. Lockett told 8News he had been hit inside the shoulder with an automobile’s mirror whilst using his bicycle.
“It’s sort of unnerving. It’s a touch bit frightening,” he explained.
Lockett shared some guidelines for drivers and bicyclists to keep in mind even as sharing the street.
“Slow down, don’t tailgate and just flow away. Tackett said people driving their bikes have to take measures to be great to drivers.
They weigh lots less than an automobile does,” he explained.”Be visible, make sure they can see you,” Lockett informed 8News. “Strobe lighting fixtures within the back, strobe lighting inside the front, at night time have multiple or greater lighting fixtures than every day.”
It is unclear if any of those elements played a function within the lethal crash. Neither speed nor alcohol factored into the crash, in step with police.
The motive force of the GMC turned into not injured, and the crash remains beneath research.
Bike safety guidelines from Sports Backers
– As the temperatures heat up between April to October, bicycling, walking, and walking hobby will increase. Though drivers ought to continually be on the lookout for humans walking and cycling, they need to be vigilant all through hotter months particularly.
– By kingdom regulation, drivers should skip someone biking with a minimum of 3 feet between the bicycle owner and the driving force.
– Avoid being a distracted motive force – do now not text or use different cellphone apps while driving.
– Follow published pace limits. The probability of a pedestrian or bicyclist fatality because of a crash increases with the car pace.
– When exiting a parked car, use the “Dutch Reach” to avoid hitting a person cycling – open the door using your hand furthest from the door. This causes the frame to rotate closer to the door, permitting the driver to appear over their shoulder to see if a person cycling is coming near.
– Our RVA Bikeways Guide is available online to help each human beings biking and driving understand numerous bicycling infrastructures and how to navigate accurately with them
– Share the Road courses also are to be had online.